Thursday, November 6, 2008

Our new president

I can't pretend I'm not ecstatic, but since I wouldn't want to see McCain supporters gloating had the tables been turned, I'll keep it short and say that I'm really grateful that Obama won and I feel very proud of my country right now. People were celebrating in the streets last night, myself included, and for the first time since coming here, when I told people I was American, they smiled. Here's a link with a photo of my friend Olivia once she saw the early polls in Chicago (thanks for passing this on, Melanie!). It's really a beautiful moment, and I think her expression speaks for all of us Obama supporters. So really, I don't need to say anything more.

http://jezebel.com/5077052/wow-justwow

3 comments:

Anne said...

I wish I could share your excitement, but I don't. It's amazing the difference in reaction. You're super excited and I've had a sick feeling in my stomach all day. I hope I'm wrong. I still like you AND your brother even though you're both dumocrats! :) BTW- did you vote? Thanks for calling. I had a great time talking to you! (More sarcasm)

Krista said...

Well Anne, I still like you too, and I'm glad we can agree to disagree. ;) And I was going to call you last night, but I thought maybe you wouldn't want to hear from me so soon after. I'll try calling you tonight!

Deirdre said...

Woohoo! Obama Yaaaaaaaaay!!!

He won, and McCain is currently throwing cats and empty Depends boxes at young 50-year-old whippersnappers as they pass by his porch.

Oh, did your post say not to rub it in?

Whoops.