Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Yodogawa Fireworks


In Japanese they call fireworks "fire flowers," which I think sounds pretty and suits them better. The colorful robes the women are wearing in these pictures aren't kimonos but yukatas, which are a traditional garment worn during summer festivals and fireworks displays (or so Wikipedia tells me). They are a casual form of kimonos, and very lovely, but much less expensive, and made from cotton rather than silk. It rained mercilessly, and it was hilarious seeing women, who had obviously put in half a day's work on their appearance, run squeeling while their boyfriends desperately tried to hold tarps over their melting facades and giant hair.

I attended this event back on August 9th (I'm so behind, sorry). Please click here for pictures.

2 comments:

Deirdre said...

I love your blog Krista! It's so cool to read your writing. You have a really strong voice when you write. Well I miss you mucho, and I'll definitely be coming back again and again...

Smooches

Stefanie said...

Krista, you have to con't to write - I have enjoyed your entries and I look forward to more! Stefanie